Monday, August 3, 2009

Prefontaine

Steve Prefontaine. What runner has not heard of him? A man who's life ended way too early but was able to accomplish so much in the short time he had. He gave it everything he had every time. He showed this by his front-running style. Normally front-running is considered a bad strategy if you want to win a race because it takes more energy to lead the pack. But this isn't how Pre (as he was called) felt. He felt that races weren't won by coming in first but the winner is determined by who gave it their best. He couldn't stand winning a race by not using everything you had. He is truely an inspirational story for all runners. I would suggest watching the movie Without Limits. It is a great depiction of the life of Pre.

Personally, Prefontaine is one of my biggest heroes. I love how he was able to give it everything he had everytime he raced. I always try to imitate his ways. When I find myself struggling in my training, I ask, what would Pre do right now? The answer is usually get off his butt and run.

Here is a list of some of Prefontaine's PRs:

1 mile - 3:54
3K - 7:42
5K - 13:21
10K - 27:43

Pre also had some inspirational quotes that also help me with my training. Here is the Pre quote of the day:

"Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts."

No comments:

Post a Comment